Ken Blanchard – Ultimate Destiny Hall of Fame Award Recipient
Ken Blanchard Award Recognition Plaque
About Ken Blanchard
Kenneth Hartley Blanchard (born May 6, 1939 in Orange, New Jersey ) is an American best-selling author, speaker, leadership expert and thought leader. His extensive writing career includes over 60 published books, most of which are co-authored books. His most successful book, The One Minute Manager, has sold over 13 million copies and been translated into many languages.
Blanchard is also the Chief Spiritual Officer of The Ken Blanchard Companies, an international management training and consulting firm that he and his wife, Marjorie Blanchard, co-founded in 1979 in San Diego, California.
Blanchard attended New Rochelle High School, and graduated in 1957. He completed a BA degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergraduate at Cornell, he joined the fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI), and was selected for membership in the Quill and Dagger society.
Blanchard is a Cornell University trustee emeritus and visiting professor at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration. He and his wife were named Cornell Entrepreneurs of the Year in 1991.
More About Ken Blanchard
Drs. Ken and Marjorie Blanchard incorporated The Ken Blanchard Companies in 1979 with three simple goals—to make a difference in people’s lives, to drive human worth and effectiveness in the workplace, and to help each organization we work with become the provider, employer, and investment of choice.
With a passion to turn every leader into a servant leader, Ken Blanchard shares his insightful and powerful message with audiences around the world through speeches, consulting services, and bestselling books. Universally characterized by his friends, colleagues, and clients as one of the most influential and compassionate leadership experts in the world, Ken is respected for his lifetime of groundbreaking research and thought leadership. In fact, few people have influenced the day-to-day management of people and companies more than Ken Blanchard.
When Ken speaks, he speaks from the heart with warmth and humor. No matter how large the audience, he is able to communicate with each person as if the two of them were alone and talking one-on-one. Ken is a sophisticated storyteller with a knack for making the seemingly complex easy to understand.
Dr. Ken Blanchard is the cofounder and Chief Spiritual Officer of The Ken Blanchard Companies®, an international management training and consulting firm that he and his wife, Margie Blanchard, began in 1979 in San Diego, California. In addition to being a renowned speaker and consultant, Ken is a former trustee emeritus of the Board of Trustees at his alma mater, Cornell University, and he also teaches students in the Master of Science in Executive Leadership Program at the University of San Diego.
Ken’s impact as an author is far reaching. His iconic 1982 classic, The One Minute Manager®, coauthored with Spencer Johnson, has sold more than 13 million copies and remains on bestseller lists today. In the past three decades he has authored or coauthored 60 books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works—including Raving Fans, The Secret, and Leading at a Higher Level, to name just a few—have been translated into more than 42 languages. In 2005 Ken was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.
- Blanchard incorporates formally as Blanchard Training and Development
- A Situational Approach to Managing People is introduced as Blanchard’s version of Situational Leadership®
- The Young Presidents Organization becomes one of Blanchard’s first clients
- Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson meet at a party and begin collaboration on The One Minute Manager
- The One Minute Manager is self published and sells 100,000 copies in its first year
- Blanchard formally hires its Founding Associate group (Fred Finch, Pat Zigarmi, Drea Zigarmi, Laurie Hawkins, Don Carew and Eunice Parisi-Carew) who become integral to the development of Blanchard intellectual property
- Key clients for the year include Holiday Inn and Humana
- The One Minute Manager is published by William Morrow
- Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson appear on the Today Show
- Key clients for the year include Burger King, Chevron, and Lockheed
- Situational Leadership® II is introduced based on new research and becomes our offering
- Leadership and the One Minute Manager is published by William Morrow, highlighting new research from Situational Leadership® II
- Corning Glass, Nissan, and PG&E become key clients
- Ken Blanchard and Norman Vincent Peale publish The Power of Ethical Management
- Key clients for the year include AT&T, Autozone, Intercontinental Hotels, and McDonnell Douglas Helicopters
- The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams is published and becomes the catalyst for Blanchard’s comprehensive team building program
- Key clients include GE Information Services, Hershey Foods, and Nestlé
- Blanchard launches Situational Self Leadership, a program that empowers individual contributors to utilize their points of power and ask for what they need from their leaders
- Creating Your Organization’s Future program is introduced which brings Blanchard into the mission, vision, and values space
- Blanchard expands footprint into Canada and establishes new Canadian headquarters
- Dow Chemical, Glaxo, IBM, BellSouth, and State Farm join Blanchard’s client roster
- Blanchard officially changes its name from Blanchard Training and Development to The Ken Blanchard Companies
- The Ken Blanchard Companies opens a wholly-owned office in the UK which marks the beginning of a European hub
- Key clients for the year include Merck, Pfizer, Caterpillar, Cargill, Gap, and GM
- Coaching.com, Blanchard’s full service coaching practice and website, opens for business
- Amgen, Eli Lilly, and TJX become key clients
- Situational Leadership® II 2000 is released
- Product development kicks into high gear as Blanchard introduces several new products
- Situational Frontline Leadership is named one of the Top 10 Products of the Year by Training Magazine
- Situational Team Leadership, an evolution of the previously launched Building High Performing Teams, is introduced
- Coaching Essentials for Leaders becomes a product offshoot of Coaching.com
- Ken Blanchard is inducted into Amazon.com Hall of Fame as distinguished author
- 25 years of research, development and thought leadership at The Ken Blanchard Companies culminates in the publication of Leading At A Higher Level – the definitive guide for leaders
- San Diego Magazine names The Ken Blanchard Companies as one of the Best Places to Work
- ELearning Magazine recognizes The Ken Blanchard Companies in the “Best of Leadership Content” category
- New skill building modules including Listening, Giving Feedback, and Challenging Conversations are introduced to deepen the application of SLII
- Legendary Service is launched
- Retail giant Kohl’s Corporation recognizes The Ken Blanchard Companies as its Human Resources Partner of the Year
- The Ken Blanchard Companies is named Business of the Year by the ISA Association of Learning Providers
- Blanchard expands its footprint in Asia with the opening of its Singapore office
- Blanchard named to Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies
- Blanchard expands its academic influence with publication of research into the factors that influence Employee Work Passion
- Blanchard purchases TrustWorks
- Blanchard named a Top 20 Leadership Company by TrainingIndustry.com
- Blanchard receives a Best of ELearning award for Best Leadership Training Program
- Blanchard debuts Blanchard Certified, an online, self-paced leadership development program
- Blanchard named a Top 20 Leadership Company by TrainingIndustry.com for second year
- Blanchard wins “Best in Show” at ASTD International Conference
- Blanchard introduces Optimal Motivation, a groundbreaking new process which helps to identify motivational outlooks and what leaders can do to bring out the best in people
- Blanchard launches the Blanchard Trainer Network – an online support community for trainers
- Blanchard wins “Best in Show” for second consecutive year at ASTD International Conference
- Ken Blanchard is honored as a First Generation Legend by the ISA Association of Learning Providers
- Blanchard Certified wins Stevie Award
- Blanchard Certified renamed CD2 Leadership
- Blanchard introduces The SLII Experience – a game changing new approach to leadership development and instructional design
- Selected as the #1 U-T San Diego’s Top Workplaces in the medium-size business category
- Blanchard continues to expand in Asia by adding direct sales in Hong Kong